About the Humane Society
The Oneida County Humane Society began advocating for humane treatment of animals and children in 1913 when it was officially recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as a non-profit organization. Many local newspaper articles on Humane Society activity report their involvement in anti-cruelty cases, especially regarding horses, and including some cases involving children.
Some newspaper reports show that a Rhinelander Humane Society existed for a time. During the early years, a "dog pound" was located in downtown Rhinelander, providing confinement solely for stray dogs, and only for a limited amount of time. Eventually, the City of Rhinelander built an "animal shelter" on Stevens Street. The Rhinelander Animal Shelter currently provides services to all of Oneida County animals.
Over the years, members of the Oneida County Humane Society actively provided funds for area animal shelters and humane societies. In 2011 a small group of area animal lovers came together with the hope of expanding the Society's activities to include education to the public and greater assistance to the Rhinelander Animal Shelter. On July 1, 2012, the Oneida County Humane Society assumed operational responsibility for the Animal Shelter, renaming it the Oneida County Humane Society Adoption Center.
Our Board Members
Maggie Hogan, Lake Tomahawk
Dave Havel, Rhinelander
Karla Ortman, Pine Lake
Alex Young, Rhinelander
Julie Young, Rhinelander
Sue Otis, Minocqua
Join the OCHS Board Of Directors.
if you are interested in joining the OCHS Board of Directors, please read the OCHS By-Laws and Board Member Expectation Statement before completing the Application for Board Membership. Completed applications should be mailed to: OCHS, 1852 N Stevens St, Rhinelander, WI 54501.